SMX Social: Social Bookmarking Services, Leveraging Del.icio.us & StumbleUpon
Guillaume Bouchard - NVISolutions.com
For of Social Media Bookmarking success, you need a lot of friends.
So what is social bookmarketing? It allows internet users to store, organize, search and most importantly share bookmarks. Popular Social Bookmarking websites: Del.icio.us, Stumbleupon and Furl.
Every bookmarking site also uses Tagging: Collaborative practice and method to identify content a certain way.
Helps your site index better on search engines. Achieves high amount of natural incoming links, creates a presence in online social communities. It also increases brand awareness, builds traffic from alternate source, influence traditional media.
- Check how other people are tagging the kinds of sites you want to remember
- When in doubt pick the tag that is the most relevant and that is the most popular in the tag clouds
- Stay away from separating your tags with commas
- co-ordinate your efforts and establish a set of standards on how to tag resources you want to share with others
- Presence on the web for the past 10 years (hyperlinks, anchor text, keywords)
- Create your own set of tags to represent your content
- Works best with images, encouraging high participation rates by allowing users to personalize and create their own tags that they feel relate to the given photo
- Featured on del.icio.us, stumble, and flickr.
- An algorithmic system that automatically extracts tags from the content
- Can incorporate all the other users tags in the automatic process
- Does not benefit from the creativity of a human mind
- A good example of added value: Facebook tagged all of its features
Abuse & Content Degradation
- Content visibility is often created through the intentional misuse of tags
- As social boomarking and tagging sites become more mainstream, the added incentive for manipulation will result in decreasingly reliable content unless their algorithms get a lot smarter
- Search engine for blgogs that operates and uses a tag based system
- Set up a blog for your client, write several blog posts with high -profile tas, and claim it through TEchnorati
- If you get a high amount of pings in short period of time, you will show up in the popular section of the site for searches, blogs, videos, movies and news
- If you get a high amount in pings in short period of time, you will show up in popular section of the site for searches blogs videos movies and news
- Upload your photos that are relevant to the industry you are trying to target
- Select tags from the popular tags listings
- If you want your photos to also appear in Technorati, tag and set them as public
- Encrourage users to link to and comment on your photos using the same tags that your initially selected
- Use the photostream on your blog and other public profiles
- Content submitted is more important than tags used
- Original yet amateur mash-up videos have proven to be successful
- Use Digg and other social websites to obtain the highest amount of view and ratings possible in a short period of time
- share your submitted videos with Friends
- creative attractive and interesting corporate profiles: be honest
- brainstorm on widgets and get an application unique to your industry
- invite relevant friends with influence to join your group
- offers a good reason to the visitor to join the grou on this first visit
- Watch out for
- existing groups talking about your corporations that are not moderated by someone withing your company
- Moderation can be time consuming for larger groups especially open one
Michael Gray - Atlas Web Services
Del.icio.us - the power is in how you can organize and share your bookmarks
Tags- think of them as a label, but be careful of the commas. Different people interpret your pages in different ways, thus giving your pages more "tags".
Posting history gives you a clue into who might be a leader into a community.
You have the ability to subscribe to specific tags, so if you are looking to build your profile elsewhere, subscribe to it then submit to other sites.
You can also do a "shout out" like in digg, with del.icio.us. Although not as powerful, still very useful.
"what's hot" can get you a lot of traffic, the page also give you insight into what' popular at the time. Getting to the "what's hot" page is like the front page of the digg. But Del.icio.us is not the heavy young male audience, it's everybody.
De.licio.us does apply the no-follow tag, so you don't get link love, but you will get traffic. Interesting thing for this service, no tag is wrong. As a marketer, its knowing which is the popular tags. If you have two words separated by a space, replace the space with a "+".
Find the type of posts that people are bookmarking for your subject. Add friends!
Expanding Your Exposure
- Identify tags that are popular and active
- Tailor your content to fit into the tags
- Add book marking widgets and buttons to your pages
- Jump start the bookmarking w/ the optimal title and description
- De.licio.us popular page is updated approximately every 4 hours
- Time your bookmarking efforts to take advantage of update times
- Use your friends to help influence the suggested tags
- Don't create multiple sock puppet accounts, they will get discontinued
Neil Patel - ACSSEO.com
Leveraging StumbleUpon there are over 3 million users on SU.
So why should you care? Over 12K visitors in 1 day, and traffic keeps coming and it's great for branding. A little more male slanted, age range is more 40-54, which means they have money to spend.
Need to install the toolbar to be able to use it. Thumbs up and Thumbs down for pages. The more thumbs up, the more traffic it gets. Then add friends, after you put the toolbar in.
On Stumble, Titles aren't as important because pages are just being served up. You should have some type of keywords in there. Review is important along with topic and tags. Send to button allows you to send the pages to your friends, they then HAVE to go to the site you sent them. Not considered spam since this is a service of Stumble Upon.